Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces cautioned the enemies, the US in particular, against the severe damage they will have to suffer in case of a naval warfare against Iran. The US government has continuously made threats against Iran since the victory of the Islamic Revolution, and those threats have been mainly “sea-based”, Major General Mohammad Hossein Baqeri said on Thursday, in an address to a national conference on speedboats, held in Tehran’s Malek-Ashtar University of Technology. Iran’s Enemies have “shaped massive forces at sea” and put great efforts into protecting them, but they are well aware that “they are vulnerable in actual battlefield and will suffer damages and heavy losses” if they take action against Iran, the senior commander said. Iran’s deterrent capabilities have made the adversaries realize that “the costs of a naval battle with the Islamic Republic of Iran would outstrip its benefits”, he underlined. Major General Baqeri further described the speedboats in possession of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy as a “miracle”, saying the homegrown vessels have advanced commensurate with the threats.
Key members of the US government will attend a meeting, set this week, to discuss the situation in Yemen since the Arab Alliance requested their participation in the battle to control the port. The proposal was presented last year to the Obama administration, which rejected the plan because it was seen as a direct engagement of US troops in Yemen. Nowadays US officials said there are two plans to intervene in Yemen against the Houthis and their allies, one sponsored by Central District Commander General Votel and the second one by the Defense Secretary Mattis. It will be President Donald Trump to decide wich plan to proceed with. Some details about the plan have leaked and it seems that the US will assist UAE forces with Special Forces, air and sea backup and surveillance. Moreover the plan proposed by the Defense Secretary will not include ground troops or US special units but will include planning, providing coordinates and fuel for the fighters and in fine field commanders will manage the battle without going back to the White House.
The government’s low-key approach on sharing the cost of stationing the U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) here is coming under scrutiny as the new U.S. government is likely to demand more money. Korea and the United States hold negotiations on cost-sharing for the upkeep of 28,000 American troops every five years under the Special Measures Agreement (SMA). Seoul pays about half the cost — 944.1 billion won ($782 million) and 932 billion won in 2016 and 2015, respectively. The last SMA was made in 2014 and the next negotiations for 2019 through 2023 are likely to begin later this year, according to the Foreign Ministry.