A new video by Boko Haram has been released and anonymously sent to Premiumtimestuesday morning. The video One man is beheaded by the militants, the two others are shooted, after being asked ( in Hausa) to identify themselves. The men claimed they were sent to infiltrate the sect by people close to the military. Subsequently, the video cut into where the three were taken to a nearby bush and brutally executed. The terrorists issued threats against President Muhammadu Buhari, who returned to the country last week after one month of medical vacation in the UK. “Oh! You, Buhari, you should know that these boys are your servants working for you whom you sent but Allah has exposed them”, the insurgents said accusing the president of being an “infidel”. The video is the first from the sect this years, it has appeared three months after AbubakarShekau ( Boko Haram Leader) refuted MrBuhari’s speech in which he said that “the group had been crushed”. “We are safe. We have not been flushed out of anywhere. And tactics and strategies cannot reveal our location except if Allah wills by his decree”,MrShekau said.
Seven Boko Haram suspected terrorists have been arrested for the abduction and the killing of five foreigners in Kebbi state in 2011. The terrorists are accused too of having kept in Sambisa forest for 10 days and then killed seven other foreigners in Borno State in 2013. After taking their plea, lawyer for the suspects, AbdulkarimAudu, prayed the court to issue an order for the transfer of the suspects to Kuje Maximum prison. Audu’s clients had remained under the custody of operatives of the State Security Service since their arrest, therefore he asked the court to allow his clients’s access to their family. The prosecution counsel LabaranMagaji did not object this request, but he told the court he could not guarantee the transfer of the defendants to any other custody. The presiding judge, John Tsoho, ruled that the defendants be allowed to stay in prison custody till the determination of their matter. The judge noted that the Nigerian government had all the apparatus necessary to ensure the safety of every Nigerian, including the defendants. The matter was adjourned till April 11 for continuation of trial.
Two teenage female suicide bombers have been shot dead by troops as they tried to sneak into the city of Maiduguri. The two were wearing explosive vests under their clothes when they were shot dead Saturday night. It resoned a deafening explosion in Maiduguri, but it was only the result of the detonation of the bomb. Apart from the two girls ( who where in their late teens) no one else died nor has been injuried. In the same day, Nigeria Army has shot down a Boko Haram kingpin too, in this operation 211 captive civilians has been rescued. Suicide bombing by teenage girls it’s a typical Boko Haram strategy strategy. Since two years over 200 such teenage girls have lost their lives helping Boko Haram to attack both military and civil populations around north-east Nigeria and less than ten of them survived the mission. One of the girls that recently reneged on the mission by refusing to detonate her explosive told security operatives that they are made to believe that the explosives would not harm them. She said they were told that they would disappear to a safe haven where they would be married to handsome husbands of their choice and then live an eternal life of happiness.
Nigerian and Cameroonian troops have carried out another joint operation to weed out Boko Haram terrorists along Nigeria and Cameroon border. Durign the two days joint operation (led by Col Dourai and Lt Col Mohaman of the Cameroonian Defence Forces) troops of the two countries cleared Siyara, Kote, Sigawa and proceeded to Bulabundibe towns. While conducting the operation the troops came in contact with Boko Haram terrorists and neutralised many of them, apprehended two others, while many others escaped with gunshot wounds. The Troops recovered seven Dane guns, five Boko Haram terrorists’ flags, four vehicle tyres,two motorcycles and vehicle spare parts. At the conclusion of the clearance operation, the team leader, Col Dourai, stated that the operation was carried out to secure both countries’ borders from the menace of the Boko Haram terrorists.
“Abubakar Shekau fatally wounded”, Nigerian army announced on Twitter on August 23. Boko Haram presence in Nigeria decreased in the past months, but it’s not still defeated.
Since 2009 it involved not only Borno State in Nigeria, but also Cameroon (109 people are waiting for execution in the last hours), Chad and Niger.
As reported by United Nations and World Food Programs, the humanitarian situation is very tragic:
– 1,4 million children in Nigeria are displaced in Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger;
– An estimated 475,000 children across Lake Chad are expected to suffer from severe acute malnutrition this year, up from 175,000 at the beginning of the year;
– 20,000 children was separated from their family;
– now 4,5 million people need food;
– it is estimated that at least 65,000 people in newly liberated but still inaccessible areas in Borno and Yobe are facing “famine-like” conditions;
– WFP requires $52 million to continue providing life-saving assistance until the end of the year in north-eastern Nigeria.
Over 800 hostages freed by Nigerian army and several jihadists killed in the last two months. The latest events in Nigeria revealed that Boko Haram is regressing. And they’d certify what leader Abubakar Shekau said in a video published on March 24: “For me the end has come”. So, has Boko Haram really finished?
Not only against Nigeria, especially in Borno State. But also against Camerun, Chad and Niger. During two last year Boko Haram tried to expand itself over several African regions. 8,700 troops from these four countries struggled against jihadist organization. Up until today, with Buhari’s supposed victory. And with the Shekau’s video, which seems to confirm this end.
Over all Nigerian geopolitical issues, it’s a given, as reported by European Affairs in the last news about Nigeria, that Boko Haram lost several villages in Borno States. But, as confirmed by US AfriCom to online newspaper Premium Times, “Boko Haram continues to rule very significant portions of the national northern territory as well as al Shabaab is still present in limited portions of Somalia”.
So, how confirmed by these sentences and how underlined by several international sources, Boko Haram end has not still happened. And Shekau’s announcement could mean a change of ISIS organization leadership.
Military and economical campaign against Boko Haram is continuing. During March, Nigerian army killed several militants, as happened two days ago when 5 jihadists were killed and many weapons confiscated. Or through the suspenction of four cattle markets in Borno State, where Boko Haram traded stolen animals to support itself.
If social and military radicalization of Boko Haram is well-known, also economical point of view is important. Especially about the cattle trade, which almost entirely passes by Borno. Indeed, the closure of four markets even affected the market in Lagos, where prices rised.
Neverthless, after Libya, also Nigeria is becoming a new Caliphate stronghold. This was evident during January 2016, when 905 Nigerian migrants reached Italian coasts through Mediterranean route (109 on January 2015): “We have to control better this situation – Federico Soda, IOM, said -. About, about 90 per cent of Nigerian women were victims of human trafficking. “
17,000 people killed, at least 1,000 schools destroyed, over 2 million displaced people. These are the numbers of Boko Haram insurgency in the last six year. An insurgency which is producing a migration route towards Libya and another geopolitical matter for Italy and EU countries.
President Muhammadu Buhari’s optimism after a few victories against Boko Haram rebels is not realistic. Atrocities in the village of Dalori, where jihadists set fire causing about 90 killed, including children, and the recent attack on a hamlet in Borno State, where three people died, report that the war in the North-East of the country is not over yet.
Since his assignment in 2015, Buhari, in collaboration with Cameroon and Chad, defeated several times Boko Haram troops. Indeed, unlike his predecessor, the Christian Jonathan Goodluck, he’s Muslim and comes from northern Nigeria: so, it’s a crucial factor in the fight against Islamist organization.
However, there are many negative causes. These victories did not go with an improvement of Nigeria as State. Because of lack of funds, the homes, schools and churches restoration didn’t happen. Consequently, the reconstruction of social fabric failed.
All this in a context of permanent opposition between the South, Christian, richer and more developed; and the North, Muslim, poorer and with less infrastructure. A contrast worsened in the last year by the charges of human rights abuses against civilians to Nigerian army, while it was hunting down Boko Haram in Borno State.
A discontent used by Boko Haram, as Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, to recruit people.
Buhari’s optimism discloses an underestimation of the opponent. An opponent which took a specify military tactic in recent months. It disappears when it has difficulties and reappears when conditions allow. And it resorts more to raids than suicide attacks.
The tactics of Boko Haram combined with now long-standing war against the Nigerian state tell us about a real war. For this reason, as written by Financial Times, a few victories do not mean the end of this war.
As evidence of this, in an interview Vicenews on HBO, a Boko Haram commander told about more than 200 Chibok girls abducted on April 15, 2014: “I know where they are. You want to know where they are? They are not with us. If we can get what we want, we know where they are, we will get them.” Challenging words which explain how Boko Haram is alive and kicking.