President Donald Trump’s administration plans to sell a dozen aircraft to Nigeria’s air force for the fight against the extremist group Boko Haram: the deal could be worth $600 million. Former President Barack Obama’s administration originally agreed on the sale, but delayed it after incidents including the Nigerian Air Force’s bombing a refugee camp in January that killed 90 to 170 civilians. Formal notification of the deal has not yet been sent to Congress but it will soon be. A senior Nigerian military source in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, confirmed that the sale would go ahead and said it would also involve training, surveillance and military intelligence “to support the ongoing insurgency war”. There are questions about whether Nigeria will be able to pay the full $600 million for the aircraft, equipment, training and support. U.S. officials said Buhari raised frustration with delays in the sale in a phone call with Trump in February.
A new video by Boko Haram has been released and anonymously sent to Premiumtimestuesday morning. The video One man is beheaded by the militants, the two others are shooted, after being asked ( in Hausa) to identify themselves. The men claimed they were sent to infiltrate the sect by people close to the military. Subsequently, the video cut into where the three were taken to a nearby bush and brutally executed. The terrorists issued threats against President Muhammadu Buhari, who returned to the country last week after one month of medical vacation in the UK. “Oh! You, Buhari, you should know that these boys are your servants working for you whom you sent but Allah has exposed them”, the insurgents said accusing the president of being an “infidel”. The video is the first from the sect this years, it has appeared three months after AbubakarShekau ( Boko Haram Leader) refuted MrBuhari’s speech in which he said that “the group had been crushed”. “We are safe. We have not been flushed out of anywhere. And tactics and strategies cannot reveal our location except if Allah wills by his decree”,MrShekau said.
Seven Boko Haram suspected terrorists have been arrested for the abduction and the killing of five foreigners in Kebbi state in 2011. The terrorists are accused too of having kept in Sambisa forest for 10 days and then killed seven other foreigners in Borno State in 2013. After taking their plea, lawyer for the suspects, AbdulkarimAudu, prayed the court to issue an order for the transfer of the suspects to Kuje Maximum prison. Audu’s clients had remained under the custody of operatives of the State Security Service since their arrest, therefore he asked the court to allow his clients’s access to their family. The prosecution counsel LabaranMagaji did not object this request, but he told the court he could not guarantee the transfer of the defendants to any other custody. The presiding judge, John Tsoho, ruled that the defendants be allowed to stay in prison custody till the determination of their matter. The judge noted that the Nigerian government had all the apparatus necessary to ensure the safety of every Nigerian, including the defendants. The matter was adjourned till April 11 for continuation of trial.
Two teenage female suicide bombers have been shot dead by troops as they tried to sneak into the city of Maiduguri. The two were wearing explosive vests under their clothes when they were shot dead Saturday night. It resoned a deafening explosion in Maiduguri, but it was only the result of the detonation of the bomb. Apart from the two girls ( who where in their late teens) no one else died nor has been injuried. In the same day, Nigeria Army has shot down a Boko Haram kingpin too, in this operation 211 captive civilians has been rescued. Suicide bombing by teenage girls it’s a typical Boko Haram strategy strategy. Since two years over 200 such teenage girls have lost their lives helping Boko Haram to attack both military and civil populations around north-east Nigeria and less than ten of them survived the mission. One of the girls that recently reneged on the mission by refusing to detonate her explosive told security operatives that they are made to believe that the explosives would not harm them. She said they were told that they would disappear to a safe haven where they would be married to handsome husbands of their choice and then live an eternal life of happiness.
As the military offensive continues in the North-east, about 30 suspected members of Boko Haram were believed to have met their waterloo in the hands of Nigerian troops, when they attempted to ambush a convoy of local government officials and travellers along Bama road after Nguro-Soye in Borno State. Troops from 121 Task Force Battalion, Pulka were escorting local government officials from Pulka to Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, when the incident occurred on Saturday morning. The terrorists detonated an improvised explosive device and followed it with sporadic gunshots which were immediately repelled by the gallant troops.