“This year alone, 211 servicemen of the Ukrainian Armed Forces sacrificed their lives for peace and freedom of our country, defending Ukraine from the adversary”, Poroshenko said when delivering a speech in Mariupol. Poroshenko went on saying that despite a slight decrease in fire intensity on the part of Kyiv’s adversary, “the silence agreed upon in Minsk failed to materialize”.
The death toll of migrants crossing the Mediterranean Sea, mostly from the Libyan coast, hit a new record for the month of November, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) says in its latest report. The report says that 546 migrants are reported to be dead so far in the month of November, compared to 141 in 2015 and 22 in 2014 for the whole of November. Approximately 365 people were reported to have lost their lives in the Mediterranean this week alone in three separate shipwrecks that had set off from the Libyan coast. The figure has been rising steadily over the last few days as rescued migrants disembark in Italy and report how many had set off on their craft. This reported number is compared to the number rescued to arrive at those considered missing at sea. These latest mortality reports make 2016 the deadliest year on record for migrants or refugees attempting the perilous crossing. The latest IOM figures say that over 4,600 migrants died in 2016 with 343,589 arriving by sea to Europe.
On Wednesday, Saudi forces stationed on the southern border repelled an attack by Houthi militias and forces loyal to ousted President Ali Abdullah Saleh. The attack targeted Al-Dood Mountain in the Al-Khobah area. Saudi forces launched a counterattack that resulted in the death of at least 15 Houthi fighters and the capture of four others by the Parachute Brigade. Dozens of militiamen fled the battleground, abandoning their weapons.
In the second deadly attack on Tripoli’s Rada (of Deterrence) forces in just over a week, two members were shot dead on Sunday evening in a targeted attack outside a shop in the city’s central Zawiat Al-Dahmani area. According to Rada forces, Ayoub Ali Al-Buashi died instantly and Jamal Al-Shweidi died later in hospital of his injuries. Eyewitnesses say the killers were masked and used a vehicle without number plates. Insisting that it would not rest until the perpetrators had been hunted down, Rada also said that the killings would not stop it from tackling criminals and vandals. On Friday 28 October, a member named only as Kamal was killed when Rada forces demolished a house in the neighbouring Fashloum district belonging to someone described as a criminal by his force.
An army jawan and a woman were killed on Monday afternoon as Pakistani troops resorted to heavy mortar shelling along Line of Control (LoC) in Rajouri and Mendhar sectors, Jammu-Kashmir. The jawan died in Rajouri sector where Pakistani troops targeted Manjakote and Ghambir areas. “Ceasefire violations in Rajouri sector are being retaliated with massive fire assault. One army soldier was martyred,” a spokesman of the Army’s Northern Command said.