Syria’s president, Bashar-al Assad, has said that reports of a chemical weapons attack by his forces were “100% fabricated”. He told the AFP news agency that the Syrian government gave up its arsenal of chemical weapons in 2013, adding “even if we have them, we wouldn’t use them” and accused the West of making up events in Khan Sheikhoun so it had an excuse to carry out missile strikes on the government’s Shayrat airbase, which took place a few days after the alleged attack.
Following an apparent chemical attack against innocent civilians by President Assad’s regime and the US missile strike in response to it on Friday, Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressed the Kingdom’s support for the military operations against military targets in Syria. On Thursday US President Trump ordered a massive military strike on a Syrian air base and the Saudi Ministry described this action as “a corageous decision” after the failure of the international community to stop Syrian regime. Moreover Bahrain also expressed support to the military US response, saying that the action was necessary to save the lives of Syrian people.
In their fourth ministerial meeting, the Arab League and European Union (EU) countries condemned the recent atrocities of Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad and his allies, according to a joint statement issued by ministers of both sides. The meeting that is currently held in Egypt, with Tunisian Foreign Affairs Minister Khemaies Jhinaoui representing the Arab countries and EU high representative for foreign affairs and security policy Federica Mogherini representing the EU countries, also condemned the usage of chemical weapons by all factions in Syria and the deterioration of the humanitarian situation. They also committed to reconstructing Syria once an inclusive political transition is underway.
A report speaks about President al Assad crimes and people forced to escape underground because of carpet bombing.
“Sheer terror and unbearable suffering has forced many civilians in Aleppo to eke out an existence underground to escape the relentless aerial bombardment of opposition-held areas by government forces”, Amnesty International report on Sirya said.
President Bashar al Assad rejected barrel bombs and every attack on population. But Philip Luther, Director of Amnesty International’s Middle East and North Africa Programme, told about another Syrian context: “Widespread atrocities, in particular the vicious and unrelenting aerial bombardment of civilian neighbourhoods by government forces, have made life for civilians in Aleppo increasingly unbearable. These reprehensible and continual strikes on residential areas point to a policy of deliberately and systematically targeting civilians in attacks that constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity”.
Beyond these words, there are victims caused by barrel bombs, which “killed more than 3,000 civilians in Aleppo governorate last year, and more than 11,000 in Syria since 2012. Last month local activists recorded at least 85 barrel bomb attacks in Aleppo city that killed at least 110 civilians”, report said again.