After violent fights around RasLanuf and Sidra, General Haftar and the Dignity Operations have retaken the strategic ports. Operation Dignity have seized control of the entire oil crescent region and have kicked out the forces of the Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG) of the Government of National Accord from there. The actual situation has attracted international regards, preoccupied of the situation.
The situation in the Oil crescent stay conflictual. A senior official at Libya’s National Oil Corporation (NOC) warned on Monday of a possible declaration of force majeure at the Es Sider and RasLanuf oil terminals, as air strikes continued and rival forces mobilised fighters in the area. Due to air strikes committed by LNA (Libyan National Army) a large part of workers have left the industry. The effective control of the exploitation isn’t so clear. Oil is no longer being pumped to Es Sider, forcing Waha Oil Co to halt production and also affecting output by Harouge Oil Operations. In one hand the GNA (Government of National Accord) at Tripoli asks for a stabilization under the NOC, in an other hang General Haftar (LNA) has deployed in emergency 600 men to support the Petroleum Facilities Guard in the Oil Crescent. So, the situation is still not stabilize and the production decrease could have an important impact on Libyan’s economy, and maybe a global rise of oil’s price, so consequences at the international level.
Battles around Ras-Lanuf, one of the major Libyan oil terminal purshues. The commander of BDB, Mustafa Al-Sharkasy, had published a press release where he explains that he control the area between Ben Jawad and Ras-Lanuf, which had fallen under opposite forces yesterday. He told that this occupation will not be permanent, he will give back the territory to Libyan population, and must be given to the National Oil Corporation (NOC). He also said, that he’s ready to continue the battle until he doesn’t control the Oil Crescent Region. He also argued thazt a lot of army officers had defected Haftar’s army. The battle to control Libyan oil continue.
There are reports this evening that the Libyan National Army has retaken Ras Lanuf from the Benghazi Defence Brigades (BDB) and is now heading toward Sidra 16 kilometres to the west. Since yesterday’s successful assault by the BDB on Ras Lanuf and its neighbouring export terminal at Sidra, the LNA has been rushing forces to the oil crescent. Meanwhile, overnight and today there has been a series of air raids. The LNA claimed that the aircraft had targeted BDB vehicles but it appears that buildings were also hit in Ras Lanuf. At least 15 soldiers have been killed in the last 48 hours and ten are known to be wounded. Dead and injured have been taken to Magarief hospital in Ajdabiya. There are no casualty figures for BDB fighters. The LNA is claiming that some of its soldiers were executed after being captured. It has produced images of four corpses all wearing some form of battle dress. Two have clearly received wounds to the head. None of them had had their hands bound. The main LNA counterattack, code-named “Crushing Lightning” was launched from Brega. The town’s university had been evacuated overnight.