Gunmen have killed four guards at a facility operated by the Nigerian subsidary of Italian group Eni, local and security officials said on Wednesday. Four members of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), a paramilitary agency of the government, were killed on Monday at the installation at Omoku, near the oil hub of Port Harcourt, they said. They were shot dead by gunmen in military camouflage, they said.
Nigeria’s National Emergency Management Agency says troops have gunned down a suicide bomber at a transit camp for refugees from Boko Haram in the northeastern city of Maiduguri. The Saturday attack is the sixth in three weeks in the Nigerian city that was the birthplace of the Islamic extremist uprising that has killed more than 20 000 people in seven years. Security forces have foiled most of the attacks. Boko Haram has recently stepped up attacks after a months-long lull.
Tribal fighting has continued in Sebha for the fourth day with at least 15 people now killed and more than 35 wounded. The conflict between the Awlad Suleiman and the Qaddadfa tribes paused briefly this morning when a two-hour ceasefire was agreed. However, shooting resumed well before the period elapsed. The fighting has focused on the Al-Minshiya and Al-Mahdiya areas but families have been seeking to quit other areas of the town as the fire fights move around. Inhabitants confined in their homes for the battles reported properties shaking as heavy mortars and a tank cannon were fired as well as a heavy calibre DShKM (Dushka) machine gun. Sebha Medical Center called in all its staff to help with what it said was a state of emergency as more and more dead and injured were brought in. A spokesman warned that the hospital no longer had the medication nor the staff to deal with a crisis of this size.
Seven Boko Haram insurgents were killed while several others wounded yesterday evening during an encounter with troops of 119 Battalion Group of 8 Division of the Nigerian Army deployed in Kangarwa, one of the villages in the hinterland of northern Borno. A statement on Sunday from the director army public relations officer, Col Sani Usman, said the insurgents who had earlier on Tuesday attacked an isolated village in Dasa, were fiercely engaged by the troops forcing them to hastily retreat in disarray after sustaining casualties.
Five soldiers who sustained injuries during the offensive have been evacuated and are currently receiving treatment in the hospital. Troops are still on aggressive pursuit of the fleeing insurgents.
Two suicide bombers in the early hours of Friday killed themselves at a police checkpoint near the Federal High Court Complex in Maiduguri, after police officers on guard tried to stop them from advancing towards their post. A third suicide bomber was arrested. Three of them – two females and a male – were spotted creeping in the dark towards the police post at about 3.50 a.m. Another set of twin blasts were heard at about 8 a.m., but the details are yet to be ascertained.
Dozens of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed and others wounded in a failed attempt to advance that foiled by the army and popular forces in Hajah province towards the Red sea port town of Medi. The army and popular forces responded powerfully firing back and foiled the mercenaries’ attempt. Furthermore there were clashes the army and Saudi soldiers in saudi’s sites in Jizan province.
According to Palestinian Center for Human Rights’s investigations, at approximately 06:00 on Wednesday, 16 November 2016, an armed group attacked Palestinian security officers from the National Security Service, Police and Special Units, which is always present in Daraj al-Aqaba area in Nablus’ Old City, north of the West Bank. Violent clashes erupted between the two parties, due to which 5 Palestinian police officers were wounded. At approximately 06:30, the clashes intensified and, as a result, a bullet penetrated a window of a house belonging to Hilda Bassam al-Osta (38). The bullet hit Hilda in the chest, due to which she died even before she was taken to hospital.
A suicide bomber has rammed a truck into a German consulate in Afghanistan, killing at least six civilians and wounding 120, officials said. Gunman attacked the building after the blast, in the city of Mazar-e-Sharif, battling with German and Afghan forces. The Taliban said it carried out the attack in retaliation for air strikes last week in Kunduz province. Local police said at least one suspect had been arrested in connection with the bombing.
Three citizens were killed and nine injured, including four in critical cases when the Saudi fighter jets struck Manakhah district of Sanaa governorate overnight. The strikes have caused damage also at roads, houses and residents’ cars.
Central Benghazi is calm again after clashes yesterday between Libyan National Army (LNA) forces and militants in the central districts of Sabri and Suq Al-Hout. Clashes also continued in Ganfouda. The LNA used both air and ground attacks to pound the militants’ positions. According to a LNA source, one of the opposition’s commanders was killed in Sabri. He named him as Belgasem Al Shagabi. There has been no independent confirmation of this.