The UN refugee agency, has opened a new camp in Hammam al-Alil to house thousands of newly-displaced Iraqis who continue to flee the military offensive in western Mosul. The first 500 families began arriving at Hammam al-Alil 2 camp today. Each household, depending on family size, will receive a tent and other basic items including blankets, mats, a cooker, solar light and kitchen set. To date, some 2,500 tents are ready, enough to shelter more than 15,000 individuals. A second phase of the camp is nearing completion and the site will have total capacity for up to 30,000 people. The site, including an adjacent government camp, is full and many families have moved to other camps and areas east of Mosul where there is more space. The new camp, Hammam al-Alil 2 will mean new arrivals can be hosted closer to their areas of origin.
The number of people displaced from the western side of Mosul has reached up to 281,000 since operations were launched in February to retake that region from Islamic State militants, according to the Iraqi government. The Iraqi Ministry of Migration and Displacement said in a statement on Monday that the “Number of the displaced civilians from western Mosul went up to 281,630 persons, and those were distributed among the ministry camps in the south and east of the city”. “The ministry teams received today 6,855 displaced persons from the west of Nineveh. They were provided shelter at camps of al-Narkezliya, al-Jadaa, al-Haj Ali, al-Madraj, al-Khazer, Hassan Sham and Jamkour”, it added.The statement also indicated that “the ministry provided all essential needs of food and medical requirements at stores, in case more families were displaced from western Mosul”.
The U.N. Population Funding (UNFPA) has deployed the first mobile delivery unit inside western Mosul to meet the lifesaving needs of primary healthcare for women and girls. The U.N. released a statement saying the humanitarian needs of thousands of people still inside Mosul remain a “major concern” as military operations continue to regain the western side. According to the United Nations, the mobile delivery unit has been deployed in al-Maamoun district to serve the population in western Mosul. The mobile delivery room is funded by the European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid Office (ECHO and the Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA). Around 255,000 people have been displaced from Mosul and surrounding areas since October, including more than 100,000 since the latest military campaign in western Mosul began on Feb. 19, according to United Nations figures.
Pushing deeper into the key battleground, artilleries pounded areas in Dawas and Nabi Sheet, southwest of Mosul as federal police and the Ministry of Interior’s Rapid Response Units prepared to advance. Their operation to retake the eastern bank of the city, launched in mid-October with support from a U.S.-led coalition, took more than three months; civilians continued to flee in greater number as the fighting approached the densely populated old city, causing alarm at the camps for displaced people which are nearly full.
The Iraqi Migration and Displacement Ministry said Sunday that the number of refugees escaping battles between government troops and Islamic State militants in western Mosul has soared to more than 57000 since operations started last month to clear western Mosul from militants.“The ministry is prepared to receive 100.000 refugees from the western side of Mosul at its camps”, al-Jaff stated.
Daesh (or ISIS) terrorists launched a counter-attack against advancing Iraqi forces in western Mosul during an overnight rain storm. Explosions and gun fire rang out across the city’s southwestern districts in the early hours of Thursday. The fighting eased in the late morning, although a Reuters correspondent saw an air strike and rebel mortar fire. The Takfiri militants are using suicide car bombers, snipers and booby traps to counter the offensive waged by the 100,000-strong force of Iraqi troops, Kurdish Peshmarga fighters and Hashd al-Shaabi forces. Hundreds of women and children gathered in one abandoned bus station in the rain to receive food from the army and a local charity.
The number of civilians who have fled western Mosul since the start of security operations to retake the region from the Islamic State has soared further to 26000, the Iraqi government said. The Ministry of Migration and Displacement said Wednesday that the number is of those who fled the western section of Mosul since operations launched in February 19th. The United Nations and Iraqi refugee bodies have warned that battles in western Mosul could displace at least 250.000 out of 750.000 estimated to be trapped under IS control in western Mosul.
Iraqi forces, having gained control of the eastern half of Mosul in January, are now ready to launch the next phase of the offensive to liberate western Mosul from Islamic State militants.
The commander Abdulghani Asadi said during a press conference on Sunday that logistic and military preparations have been finished in order to start the liberation.
“We are waiting for zero hour by commander in chief of Iraqi Armed Forces,” the counter-terrorism service’s commander added. “The control of western Mosul will be in a way which cannot be expected”.