According to a Human Right Watch (HRW)’s letter to Egyptian Interior Minister, Magdy Ab al-Ghaffar, they detained 4 Palestinians since more than 20 months in Egyptian prisons, without reasons. Based on media reports, including photographs purporting to show two of the men in a Cairo detention facility, the families believe they are in Egyptian custody. If true, their prolonged incommunicado detention, with Egyptian authorities denying knowledge of the detention or refusing to reveal their whereabouts, would constitute enforced disappearances. Four men have crossed the Egyptian border in 2015, they wanted to join Turkey, to of them to study, two others for medical cares. HRW urged Egypt to take a decision on these men, condemns them if there are guilty, or release them. “Under international law, a country’s refusal to acknowledge that a person has been detained or to reveal a person’s whereabouts or fate following detention or arrest by government forces, placing the detainee outside the protection of the law, is an enforced disappearance. Enforced disappearance violates many of the rights guaranteed under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which Egypt ratified in 1982, including the requirement to bring detainees promptly before a judge” recalled HWR. So this situation could also be the origin of torture against prisoners.
The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) has decided to prioritize the case of the jailed journalists and executives of Turkish daily newspaper Cumhuriyet, stating that it will investigate the case “as soon as possible”. Previously, the court had made the same decision about jailed Turkish journalists Ahmet Altan, Mehmet Altan, Atilla Taş and Murat Aksoy. The indictment into daily Cumhuriyet columnists and executives was completed on April 4, nearly five months after the investigation was launched, with the prosecutor seeking jail sentences for all 19 suspects.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has said he believes the government should submit a draft on reinstating the death penalty in the event that the constitutional amendments are approved in the upcoming referendum on April 16. “After April 16, with God’s permission, the draft would be brought to parliament. If it passes in parliament, I will approve it”, Erdoğan said at a rally in the eastern province of Erzurum on April 12. Although the death penalty has not been in effect since 1984, Turkey abolished the capital punishment in 2004 as a part of reforms to ease Turkey’s accession into the European Union. The move was initiated by the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) and supported by the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP).
A Nigerian and two Moroccans, respectively suspected of links with Boko Haram and the group Islamic State, were arrested these days in the Senegalese capital. The Senegalese police announced the arrest, the day before, in Dakar, by a Nigerian known from intelligence services of its country for terrorism. According to a statement released by the police, this man would have gone in the Senegalese capital ” in the only purpose to recruit terrorists for Boko Haram “. Two Moroccans had been stopped by the air and border police upon their arrival at the international airport Léopold Sedar Senghor. According to the Senegalese police, they are allegedly connected to the Islamic State and arrived from Turkey, where they had appeared as Syrian and had passed by a refugee camp. These two men were known by intelligence services, warned of their arrival to Dakar, the Senegalese police stopped them and questioned them. “They must be now extradited towards Morocco”, adds our police source.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has accused main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu of being in contact with the coup plotters on the night of the attempted putsch in July 2016. Erdoğan recently accused the CHP leader of being “in contact with the coup plotters” after pro-government private broadcaster A Haber aired footage of Kılıçdaroğlu’s departure from Istanbul’s Atatürk Airport in the early hours of the coup attempt.
Firat News Agency released footage showing damage caused by jets shelling a cemetery for fallen PKK fighters in the Qandil Mountains. A PKK member TITLE: Turkish jets continue shelling suspected PKK bases in Kurdistan Region
said the bombardment showed the “weakness” of the Turkish government, adding that “the cemeteries of martyrs are our red line. They will pay for this”. Turkey resumed the shelling of suspected PKK positions inside the Kurdistan Region in July 2015 after a two-year ceasefire between the Turkish military and the PKK came to an end. Turkish warplanes have continuously shelled the villages and areas in the Qandil Mountains in the Kurdistan Region. The bombardments have so far killed 12 civilians in the region and caused the evacuation of several villages. The three-decade long conflict between Turkey and the PKK – which demands the creation of an independent Kurdish state – has claimed more than 40,000 lives.
Turkey is taking steps to give its Central Bank the right of first refusal on domestically produced gold, two sources said, allowing it to boost reserves of the precious metal without depleting foreign currency holdings . Like other central banks, the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey holds a mix of assets, including foreign currencies and gold, as official reserves. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has recommended that Turkey bolster its foreign reserves to shield itself from external volatility. Buying more domestically produced gold, which is priced in lira, will allow the bank to avoid depleting foreign reserves at a time when the domestic currency, has been hammered.
Turkey has expressed hopes that Russia will not use its right to veto on a potential resolution at the United Nations Security Council following a deadly gas attack, allegedly conducted by the Syrian army, around Idlib that killed around 100 civilians. “I hope the Russians won’t veto decisions taken by the U.N. Security Council”, Deputy Prime Minister and government spokesman Numan Kurtulmuş told a TV channel in the Black Sea province of Ordu late on April 4. He added that he hoped the Security Council would take effective action this time.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has said the first phase of Turkey’s military operation in Syria, dubbed the Euphrates Shield, has ended while heralding that new operations will follow. “We have completed the first phase of the Euphrates Shield Operation with the cleaning of Syria’s al-Bab from terrorists. It is now over and there will be [operations] from now on. Right now, we are preparing for new operations to walk all over terror organizations in other regions. We will give new names to new operations. We have very good surprises for all terror groups, including the PKK [Kurdistan Workers’ Party] YPG [the People’s Protection Units], DEASH [Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant], FETÖ [Fethullahist Terror Organization], waiting for the spring. With God’s will, the upcoming months will be the dead winter of terrorists while it will be the spring of Turkey and the Turkish nation”, Erdoğan said April 3.
Turkey’s Kurdish region,— Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan described himself as a “guardian of peace” on Saturday as he called on Kurds in Turkish Kurdistan to vote ‘yes’ in a referendum in two weeks time on reforms that would grant him sweeping new powers. Since July 2015, Turkey initiated a controversial military campaign against the PKK in the country’s southeastern Kurdish region after Ankara ended a two-year ceasefire agreement. Since the beginning of the campaign, Ankara has imposed several round-the-clock curfews, preventing civilians from fleeing regions where the military operations are being conducted.