After the visit of a UN envoy from the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs to the port of Hodeida, the Arab coalition spokesperson Asiri told Al Arabiya that is necessary that the UN convoy permanently monitor the port to know the reality of the area and the criminal practices by the Houthi militias. The aim of the UN visit was to oversee the mechanism of work at the port and verify statements from the coalition forces on the smuggling of illegal weapons to the Houthis and turning the port into a military base. Moreover Asiri confirmed the coalition intentions to end efforts in Mokha and to regain control of the Khalid ibn Walid military camp from Houthi militias.
The European Union has called for the release of peaceful demonstrators arrested during the anti-corruption march that took place this weekend in Russia. Among them is Alexei Navalny who was accused of organizing acts that violate public order. The EU believes that the Russian police, in an attempt to disperse the protesters, arresting hundreds of people including the leader of the opposition, “has prevented the exercise of the fundamental freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly which are fundamental rights of Russian Constitution”.
Lanre Shittu, a car dealer, has absolved President Bukola Saraki of any culpability in the issue of the 300 million Range Rover imported with fake documents. Shittu made his appearance before the Senate Committee on Ethics and Privileges could investigate the scandal. Mr. Shittu said he was approached by Wale Tinubu, the Oando boss, in October 2016 for the consigning the car to his company. He said his company had no deal with Mr. Saraki but the Senate adding that he bided and supplied the vehicle. The Chairman of the Senate Committee on House Service, Mr. Gobir, told the investigative committee that the Senate bought vehicles from dealers, and dealers from importers, he said the Senate President had nothing to do with the car or the fake documents. Although Mr. Saraki may not have personally imported the vehicle, a National Assembly, Lagos liaison office document suggests it was procured as an official car of the senate president.
Britain on Friday leveled unprecedented criticism at the United Nations Human Rights Council after it adopted five resolutions alleging Israeli human rights abuses in Judea and Samaria and the Golan Heights, despite opposition from the United States and the U.K. According to the Quartet’s report last year, there were 250 terrorist attacks, leading to the deaths of at least 30 Israelis. Renewed Hamas efforts to rebuild their tunnels are a grave concern. The scourge of anti-Semitic incitement and glorification of terrorism continue. And for as long as terrorists are treated as martyrs, peace will prove distant. And yet neither ‘terrorism’ nor ‘incitement’ were a focus of this week’s Council discussions and resolutions. This is not acceptable, the Human Rights Council has adopted 135 country-specific resolutions, 68 of which [are] against Israel or years that Isrel’s situation is on the agenda of the Human Right Council. The resolutions adopted on Friday, condemned Israel for alleged violation of human rights “in the occupied Syrian Golan” and the “occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem”; for interfering with the “right of the Palestinian people to self-determination”; and for the “human rights situation in the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem”.
U.S. Brigadier General Matthew Isler, Deputy Commanding General Operation Inherent Resolve, said he could not provide details of the military investigation into civilian deaths in western Mosul on March 17. The U.S. military said on Saturday a U.S.-led coalition strike had hit an area where residents and officials say as many as 200 civilians may have been killed as result of an air raid. The Iraqi military denied on Saturday reports that a U.S.-led coalition air strike resulted in mass civilian casualties in an area of ISIS-held Mosul, instead accusing the militant group of responsibility. Iraq’s military said on Sunday that 61 bodies were recovered from a collapsed building that ISIS had booby-trapped. An Iraqi military statement said investigations launched by an expert team found no sign showing the site of the collapse was subjected to an air strike.
Iranian Foreign Ministry released a statement enlisting 15 American companies involved in human rights violation under Iran’s sanctions from March 21. “The new measures of the American government, in imposing unilateral sanctions beyond its borders against individuals and entities from Iran and other countries based on fabricated and unjustified claims, are unfit to the international laws and regulations and betray the letter and general spirit of the JCPOA”. The statement continues with condemning the acts of Americans and reiterates that Iran will never compromise over its defense programs and capabilities as a measure to conserve its legitimate right of self-defense in face of any foreign aggression and enhancement of its deterrence power against threats.
Egyptian Armed Forces have annouced that they have killed five terrorists including one of the leaders of Ansar Bait al-Maqdis, a extremist militant group based on the Sinai peninsula. They also have arrested 16 suspected and destroy some vehicle belonging to terrorists. These actions of counter-terrorist are included in the global Egyptian policy for stabilization of the North Sinaï region, which is under tensions since two weeks after the massive agressions against Coptic families, and their exodus.
18 people has been killed durign an attack by the Luba Militia against Twa Mutiba camp, in the eastern part of Monono. According to local authorities, aggressors beneficied from reinforcements came from the village of Moba. Among the victims, 11 are part of Luba Militia, 7 were members of the camp. The administrator of Monomo territory condemned this attack, he envisages an urgent mission in the sector for the raising awareness of the population to a peacefull cohabitation. This attack intervenes one month after the organization of a forum to restore a lasting peace between communities living in permanent conflict in Tanganyika, a forum organized by the provincial authorities. The president of the civil society calls both comunities to mantain the experiences done with this forum, in order to promote the peacefull cohabitation between the peoples.
The candidate favored by China’s Communist leadership was chosen as Hong Kong’s new leader on Sunday, in the first such vote since huge pro-democracy protests erupted over the city’s election system in 2014. A committee dominated by pro-Beijing elites selected Carrie Lam, the Hong Kong government’s former No. Two official, as the financial hub’s chief executive. Lam received 67 percent of the vote and will become Hong Kong’s first female leader and its fourth since British colonial control ended in 1997.
Doctors without borders are withdrawing from Al-Thawra hospital in Yemen due to the military presence of the Houthi rebels, which is violating the sanctity of the medical profession, as an officila told to Arab News. During a phone call with the organization’s deputy director, medical doctor Tammma Al-Oudat, he said the Houthis continue to obstruct the work of the MSF teams and of other medics operating at the hospital. He also told the source they asked Houthi militias to guarantee full and free access to patients to hospitals, but the rebels refused and the MSF decided to gradually end its services and leave the hospital. Moreover the Yemeni press declared that the Houthi militia had broken into the hospital and threatened workers at gunpoint. As a consequence MSF medical teams will continue to operate in Al-Shifa hospital in the same governorate and Al-Thawra hospital will continue work but under the supervision and administration of the Yemeni medical staff.