Heavily armed gunmen riding motor bikes and other vehicles raided a village and killed five soldiers in Niger near the border with Mali early on Tuesday, the Interior Ministry said, amid signs of a growing Islamist insurgency in the region. Dozens of attackers entered Banigabou, about 20 km (12 miles) from the frontier before dawn – gunshots rang out for two hours, said residents. The ministry did not name the raiders, though Islamist militants based in Mali’s desert north have been pushing south toward its capital and over borders in the fragile Sahel region into Niger and Burkina Faso.
On Monday night, one Nigerian soldier was confirmed dead after a Boko Haram attack. Thirteen of the insurgents were also killed after the attackers were repelled, the army said. Three other soldiers were injured in the attack on ground troops at Kangarwa Village in northern Borno State. The attack was repelled by a combination of Nigeria Air Force aircraft and Nigerian Army officials.
The Police in Zamfara said several people were killed by gunmen suspected to be cattle rustlers at a mining site in Gidan Ardo Village of Bindin district of Maru Local Government Area. Witnesses in the area said the gunmen numbering over 70 rode into the mining site at around 3 p.m. on Monday and shot anyone on sight, killing over 40 persons and injuring several others. The gunmen were said to have carted away most of the mineral finds and also killed some of those that were in the mining pit.
Defense Minister of the Russian Federation Sergey Shoigu denied information about the alleged attacks on Damascus and clarified that “VKS Russian aircraft, on November 7, in the specified area of flights didn’t carrie out and apply any attack. The information published by the media, is another fake “, the ministry said. Moreover, it has already happened that media as “Anadolu Agency” published fake information about russian operation in the territory. In response to such allegations Dmitry Peskov, spokesman for the Russian President, declared the sole right of Russian leader Vladimir Putin to resume air strikes on Aleppo.
A peacekeeper from Togo and two Malian civilians were killed Sunday in an attack on a military convoy in Mali, rounding off a bloody week for foreign forces stationed there, a UN statement said. Seven other peacekeepers, also from Togo, were wounded in the attack in the central Mopti region, according to the statement by the UN mission, known by the acronym MINUSMA. After a mine or improvised explosive device was detonated, attackers opened fire on the convoy, the UN said, without identifying the assailants.
In the second deadly attack on Tripoli’s Rada (of Deterrence) forces in just over a week, two members were shot dead on Sunday evening in a targeted attack outside a shop in the city’s central Zawiat Al-Dahmani area. According to Rada forces, Ayoub Ali Al-Buashi died instantly and Jamal Al-Shweidi died later in hospital of his injuries. Eyewitnesses say the killers were masked and used a vehicle without number plates. Insisting that it would not rest until the perpetrators had been hunted down, Rada also said that the killings would not stop it from tackling criminals and vandals. On Friday 28 October, a member named only as Kamal was killed when Rada forces demolished a house in the neighbouring Fashloum district belonging to someone described as a criminal by his force.
The Organization of Islamic Cooperation has condemned in the strongest terms Yemen’s Houthi rebels, backed by the militias of deposed president Ali Abdullah Saleh for targeting the holy city of Makkah with a ballistic missile. The executive committee of the OIC held an emergency ministerial meeting on Saturday to discuss the serious developments represented by the launching of the missile by the Houthi-Saleh militias. The meeting denounced the rebels and those who provide them with arms including rockets and missiles to target Makkah. The meeting termed it an act of aggression against the holy sites in Saudi Arabia, “which is a provocation for world Muslims and evidence of their refusal to comply with the international community and its demands.”
Army spokesman Sani Usman in a statement late on Friday said that the day before troops killed a suspected female suicide bomber when she attempted to enter a military site in Yamtake in Borno state. “The failed suicide bombing attack was followed up with futile probing attack by terrorists which was decisively handled by the troops,” he said. Usman said the troops killed all four attackers including two suicide bombers and recovered a cache of arms and ammunition, but one soldier was killed. “Unfortunately, we lost a soldier in the process,” he said.
Three Palestinians were wounded after being attacked by Israeli settlers on Saturday in the village of al-Janiya in the central occupied West Bank district of Ramallah. Israeli settlers “assaulted” and threw rocks at members of the Abu Fekheideh family while they were picking olives on their land in the al-Batha area of the village, near the illegal Israeli settlement of Talmon. Jaber Barakat Abu Fekheideh was critically injured in the head, while his brother Hasan and cousin Muhammad were reported as mildly wounded, though it remained unclear exactly what type of wounds they sustained. An Israeli police spokesperson was not immediately available for comment.
Three Israelis were lightly wounded on Sunday when an Arab terrorist rammed into a group of Border Police officers near the village of Beit Ummar in the Gush Etzion area south of Jerusalem. The terrorist responsible for the attack was shot and neutralized by Israeli forces at the scene. He later died of his injuries.
All three of the wounded Border Police officers were treated at the scene by army paramedics and MDA emergency responders. They were subsequently evacuated to a local hospital.