The Nigerian Army yesterday paraded 26 ‘repentant’ Boko Haram members in Maiduguri, Borno State, after they surrendered to the military authorities. The former terrorists surrendered in Damboa Local Government Area last week and after they were taken to Maiduguri for de-radicalization. More than 2300 fighters have surrendered in the last 13 months following intensive military action and seizure of the Sambisa forest, the main enclave of the insurgents. Recent statistics reveal that over 25,000 people have been killed in the insurgency since 2009 and at least 2.4 million Nigerians displaced in the northeast states of Adamawa, Yobe and Borno.
Troops of the Nigerian Army has neutralised seven remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists in the Sambisa forest and Northern Borno on Friday in an operation supported by the Air Force. According to a statement by Sani Usman, the Director of Army Public Relations, troops also destroyed 11 gun trucks and 12 Hilux vehicles during the operation.
The Nigerian Army on Tuesday dismissed as “falsehood”, alleged killing of 30 troops by Islamic State (ISIS) in an ambush on troops engaged in the counter-insurgency campaign in the North-East. A section of the media reported that ISIS had ambushed and killed 30 Nigerian troops on Friday in the region. Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations,Theatre Command Operation Lafiya Dole, made the denial in a statement issued in Maiduguri. Nwachikwu said that contrary to the report, there were no such attack on troops of operation Lafiya Dole by ISIS or any other adversary within or outside the theatre of operation. He said that the report was another set of media propaganda and an attempt by the Boko Haram terrorists to remain relevant and portray seeming potency.