Speaking to BasNews website, Col. Falah Aref, an officer from the Joint Operations Command, announced that Iraqi troops are preparing to invade Hawija village, a village in south of Mosul between Qayyarah and Hammam al-Alil towns, into which tens of Islamic State militants infiltrated. “Joint troops of army and police as well as Rapid Response forces are getting ready to invade Hawija village, which has wide areas of forests, helping militants to hide there”, he added. Col. Aref said that the invasion will be backed by Iraqi fighter jets, after evacuating the residents through safe passageways, adding that “The presence of IS members in the village endangers security of the south of Mosul”. In July, Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi declared victory over IS militants who had held the second largest Iraqi city since 2014. More than 25,000 Islamic State militants were killed throughout the campaign. Last month, Abadi announced full recapture of Iraqi lands, declaring end of war against IS members.
Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj has shown Kosovo’s readiness to repatriate Kosovars who were recruited and went to the wars in Syria and Iraq alongside terrorist organizations.”Kosovo is the homeland of all and we are ready to repatriate all those willing to return,” he said. “Kosovo takes responsibility to ensure everyone’s life.” Haradinaj made this comment during the presentation of the UNDP report ‘Understanding pull and push factors in Kosovo; primary interviews with returned foreign fighters and their families.’ Haradinaj said the extremist religious ideologies in Kosovo spread as a result of “opening of Kosovo” after the end of the war but now Kosovars have learned the effects of extremist ideologies. The report includes interviews with those convicted by Kosovo courts for participation in foreign wars and their family members. Alessandra Roccasalvo from the UNDP said that Kosovo will face challenges at a time when Kosovar fighters will start returning from wars.
On Wednesday, Qatari al-Samarmad, a commander at Anbar’s mobilization forces, was quoted by IkhNews saying that iraqi army fighter jets pounded an Islamic State hideout in Wadi Hawran, west of the province, and killed 27 Islamic State members, including foreign nationals, in an air raid. He also added that during the airstrikes a number of vehicles belonging to the militants were destroyed. During a weekly press briefing at the cabinet’s building in Baghdad, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi declared that security forces had cleared “14,000 square kilometers” of al-Jazirah, a desert region surrounded by Anbar, Salahuddin and Nineveh provinces, from Islamic State vestiges. “At a military level, Islamic State in Iraq is over,” Abadi announced, declaring the collapse of Islamic State’s territorial influence in Iraq with the recapture of Rawa, a city on Anbar’s western borders with Syria, which was the group’s last bastion in Iraq. He also had said that final victory over IS would be proclaimed after al-Jazirah total cleaning.
At least 15 people have been killed in Yemen’s coastal city of Aden, a local resident said, in an attack claimed by the local affiliate of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) group. The resident, who wished to remain anonymous, told Al Jazeera that several people died in the city’s Khormaksar district on Sunday after an explosives-rigged car blew up outside the criminal investigation department (CID) building. Armed men, some of whom were wearing military fatigues, then proceeded to storm the facility where clashes were “still ongoing,” the source said. Also in Aden on Sunday, a car bomb targeted the Dar Saad-based office of Yemen’s Islah (Congregation for Reform) party, the country’s largest opposition group, the source said. The building was abandoned and there were no reports casualties, the source said. ISIL took responsibility for the attack on the CID building, according to its Amaq,website, claiming the armed group killed around 50 officers. Earlier on Sunday, images posted on social media showed a pitched street battle between security personnel and unknown fighters near the CID building.
The Arab coalition closed off the land, sea and air ports in Yemen early Monday after a missile targeted Riyadh, hours after an ISIS-claimed militant attack in Aden killed at least 17 people. In a statement, the coalition accused Iran of supplying Houthi militias and their allies with the missile launched on Saturday toward the Saudi capital’s international airport. The coalition’s statement said the closures would be temporary and “take into account” the work of humanitarian and aid organizations. Meanwhile in Aden, masked militants claimed by an ISIS affiliate set off a large car bomb outside a security headquarters in Yemen’s southern port city early Sunday, killing at least 17 people before storming the compound, officials said. Fighting continued well into the night. Speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief reporters, the security officials said the militants placed snipers on the roof and gunned down most of the security forces inside. The officials gave conflicting accounts of what happened next inside the building. They initially said that the militants had taken an unknown number of people hostage. Later they said that they opened cell gates and released prisoners. Security forces backed by an Apache helicopter continued to fight for control of the installation after nightfall, chasing down militants in the surrounding structures and neighborhood. Some hostages were killed, they added, without providing specific figures. They said at least five soldiers were among the dead.
As part of the efforts targeting terrorism, Saudi State Security has listed two entities and 11 names of leaders, financiers and supporters of Al Qaeda and ISIS organization. The Saudi State Security listing targeted financiers and facilitators for the terrorist organizations and al-Qaeda group in Yemen. The establishment of the center was an expression of the strong will and determination of the member states to cooperate constructively in the fight against terrorism and it’s financing. The measures reaffirm the keenness of Saudi Arabia and the member States to deepen the partnership with the United States to stop financing of terrorist groups that pose a threat to the security, such as al-Qaeda and ISIS organizations in Yemen. Based on Saudi laws against terrorist crimes and its financing and in accordance with Security Council Resolution 1373 (2001), sanctions will be imposed on those names, including the freezing of any of their assets within the Kingdom. This is done by expanding and strengthening cooperation to combat the financing of terrorism, facilitating coordination and information sharing, and building the capacity of member states to target terrorist financing networks and activities, which pose a threat to the national security of the States of the Presidency and the member States of the Center. Citizens and residents of Saudi Arabia are prohibited from engaging in any transactions with those names and designated entities.
Iraqi forces regained control of 10,850 square kilometers from the Islamic State (ISIS) in Hawija, a military spokesman said on Thursday (October 12). Spokesman of Joint Operations Room of the Iraqi Army, Yahya Rasul, said during a press conference with Coalition forces spokesman, Colonel Ryan Dillon, that the Iraqi forces backed by the Coalition, continue advancing against the ISIS militants. “We will celebrate victory over the recapture of the areas controlled by Daesh”, Rasul added, using the Arabic acronym for Islamic State. The Iraqi Prime Minister last week confirmed the capture of Hawija, ISIS’ last stronghold in the north of the country, leaving the militant group holed up in pockets of land near the Syrian border.
The Nigerian Army on Tuesday dismissed as “falsehood”, alleged killing of 30 troops by Islamic State (ISIS) in an ambush on troops engaged in the counter-insurgency campaign in the North-East. A section of the media reported that ISIS had ambushed and killed 30 Nigerian troops on Friday in the region. Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations,Theatre Command Operation Lafiya Dole, made the denial in a statement issued in Maiduguri. Nwachikwu said that contrary to the report, there were no such attack on troops of operation Lafiya Dole by ISIS or any other adversary within or outside the theatre of operation. He said that the report was another set of media propaganda and an attempt by the Boko Haram terrorists to remain relevant and portray seeming potency.
More than 5.4 million civilians have been displaced in Iraq since the Islamic State (ISIS) fight began in 2014, U.N. Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq said. Coordinator, Lise Grande, said on Monday (October 9) millions of internally displaced persons (IDPs) have been helped to safety and protected by the Iraqi government and the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG). Grande added humanitarian partners are concerned about the safety of the civilian population in and around Hawija, although fighting is ending. “Nothing is more important than protecting the civilians who have been impacted by the conflict”, Grande said. “International humanitarian law is clear. Everything must be done to ensure people are safe and have access to the assistance they need”.
A number of the Taliban militants and insurgents belonging to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) Khorasan have joined peace process in eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan. Officials in the 201st Silab Corps of the Afghan National Army in the East said the militants were previously busy conducting insurgency and terrorist related activities in the southern parts of the province. The anti-government armed militant groups have not commented regarding the report so far. Nangarhar is among the relatively calm provinces in East of Afghanistan but the anti-government armed militants have increased their insurgency activities in some districts of the province during the recent years.