The statement of the prosecutor-general’s office said that 235 people had been killed and 109 injured in the attack on Al-Rawdah mosque in North Sinai, where hundreds of people had gathered for traditional Islamic prayers on Friday afternoon. The state TV has reported that there will be a nationwide three-day mourning. Some witnesses in Bir al-Abed, near Arish city, told Ahram Online that terrorists detonated explosives inside a Sinai mosque and then killed the worshippers in a hail of gunfire. The gunmen escaped before Egyptian army could arrive. The suspicion fell on the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant’s (Isil) affiliate in the Sinai desert. The massacre is the worst terrorist attack on civilians in modern Egyptian history. The president El-Sisi said that Egypt will use “brutal force” against the attackers and he is set a meeting with a security committee to discuss about the attack.
At least 15 people have been killed in Yemen’s coastal city of Aden, a local resident said, in an attack claimed by the local affiliate of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) group. The resident, who wished to remain anonymous, told Al Jazeera that several people died in the city’s Khormaksar district on Sunday after an explosives-rigged car blew up outside the criminal investigation department (CID) building. Armed men, some of whom were wearing military fatigues, then proceeded to storm the facility where clashes were “still ongoing,” the source said. Also in Aden on Sunday, a car bomb targeted the Dar Saad-based office of Yemen’s Islah (Congregation for Reform) party, the country’s largest opposition group, the source said. The building was abandoned and there were no reports casualties, the source said. ISIL took responsibility for the attack on the CID building, according to its Amaq,website, claiming the armed group killed around 50 officers. Earlier on Sunday, images posted on social media showed a pitched street battle between security personnel and unknown fighters near the CID building.
Senior Advisor to the Iranian Parliament Speaker Hossein Amir Abdollahian blasted the independence referendum in the Iraqi Kurdistan region, and said that such a move will make Israel and the ISIL terrorists stronger. “(Iraqi Kurdistan leader Massoud) Barzani’s independence bid means strengthening ISIL and Tel Aviv, new regional anarchy and instability”, Amir Abdollahian wrote on his Twitter account. He reiterated that the Kurdish people in Iraq could not enjoy genuine support unless the Arab country’s national unity was fully supported. “Strong support for Iraq’s national unity is the real support for the Iraqi Kurds”, Amir-Abdollahian added. In defiance of Iraq’s stiff opposition, the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) held a non-binding referendum on September 25 on secession from the central government in Baghdad.
The Syrian Army troops, backed up by the country’s Air Force, repelled ISIL’s heavy offensive on the pro-government forces’ positions in the Southeastern outskirts of Deir Ezzur city, inflicting major losses on the terrorists. The army units engaged in fierce clashes with ISIL and warded off the terrorists’ attack on their positions in Huweija Sakar region, killing or wounding a number of militants and destroying their equipment. Also, the army men targeted and destroyed a bomb-laden vehicle of ISIL before hitting their positons in Huweija Sakar. In the meantime, the army’s missile units and aircraft targeted heavily ISIL’s positions and movements in Hatlah and al-Hosseiniyeh region and in the neighborhoods of al-Huweiqa, Kanamat, Khasarat, al-Roshdiyeh, al-Arzi and al-Orfi, killing a number of terrorists and destroying their military hardware.
Commander of Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Aerospace Force Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh said Iran is in possession of domestically-made 10-ton father of all bombs with a high destructive power, adding that the IRGC has penetrated into the US military command centers and collected evidence of their support for the ISIL terrorists. “Following a proposal by the Aerospace Force of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), Iran’s Defense Industries Organization manufactured a 10-ton bomb; these bombs are at our disposal and can be launched from Ilyushin aircraft and they are highly destructive,” General Hajizadeh said in a televised interview on Friday. The commander pointed to the ordnance as Iran’s “father of all bombs” as compared with the GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb (MOAB), also known as the “mother of all bombs”, which the US Air Force dropped on tunnels in Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province from an MC-130 aircraft in April.
The predominately Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have pushed back ISIL from 65 percent of Raqqa city’s neighborhoods, Jeihan Sheikh Ahmad, the official spokesman for the Euphrates Rage Operation Room said on Monday. Ahmad said that the Kurdish forces have seized control over the neighborhoods of old Raqqa and al-Dar’eiyeh that were the most important strongholds of ISIL in the city.In the meantime, the People’s Protection Units (YPG) released a full statement covering the battle for Raqqa where heavy clashes continue day and night. According to the YPG (main military branch of the SDF) press statement, some 65 percent of Raqqa’s provincial capital has been ‘liberated’ while 2,000 hostages were freed from ISIL captivity over the past month. Effectively, Kurdish forces are now in control of 14 of out the city’s 23 neighborhoods, the YPG statement added.