Geopolitical News from the modern world

Tag archive

Boko Haram

“Don’t send Nigerian refugees back to violence”, UN urges Cameroon

in AFRICA/POLITICS by

The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has urged the Cameroonian authority not to send Nigerian refugees back to the Boko Haram violence they fled from. Despite warnings, Nigerian refugees and asylum-seekers who fled Boko Haram violence continue to be returned from Cameroon, underscoring the need to accord international protection to those in need. “We appeal once again to the authorities in Cameroon to refrain from further forced returns and to ensure protection to those fleeing insecurity and persecution in Nigeria […] This is in accordance with Cameroon’s national and international obligations,” UNHCR said.

Since the beginning of 2018, 385 Nigerians refugees and asylum-seekers had been forcibly returned from Cameroon, the majority of them in March. In total, the UN agency has registered some 87,600 Nigerian refugees in the country. UNHCR said: “The forced returns are in violation of the principle of no forced returns or non-refoulement.

 

Boko Haram attack leaves 18 dead in Nigeria

in AFRICA/DEFENCE by

Boko Haram killed at least 18 people and wounded scores in coordinated attacks overnight on a military camp and villages around the flashpoint Nigerian city of Maiduguri, which they also tried to infiltrate across a defensive trench, officials said Monday. Boko Haram fighters attacked a military base in the Cashew Plantation area at the entrance to the city with suicide bombers, mortars and guns, leading to a prolonged battle, a senior military officer in Maiduguri said. “Eighteen Boko Haram terrorists on foot attacked the military base while seven suicide bombers targeted residents of nearby Bale Shuwar and Alikaranti villages at 8:50 pm (1950 GMT),”

On Friday, four girl suicide bombers aged between 13 and 18 killed two people in multiple attacks in Zawuya settlement on the outskirts of Maiduguri in the first assault since the government announced it was in ceasefire talks with Boko Haram. Level since at least June 2014, the latest sign that China has kept up pressure on its isolated neighbor in line with United Nations trade sanctions.

Army parades 26 repentant Boko Haram fighters

in AFRICA by

The Nigerian Army yesterday paraded 26 ‘repentant’ Boko Haram members in Maiduguri, Borno State, after they surrendered to the military authorities. The former terrorists surrendered in Damboa Local Government Area last week and after they were taken to Maiduguri for de-radicalization. More than 2300 fighters have surrendered in the last 13 months following intensive military action and seizure of the Sambisa forest, the main enclave of the insurgents. Recent statistics reveal that over 25,000 people have been killed in the insurgency since 2009 and at least 2.4 million Nigerians displaced in the northeast states of Adamawa, Yobe and Borno.

Breaking: Suicide bomber hits Borno IDPs camp, many feared dead

in AFRICA by

Several persons (17 confirmed) have been feared dead as suspected Boko Haram suicide bomber, Wednesday, attacked the Internally Displaced Persons’ (IDP) camp in Dalori, Borno state. According to the statement, “Multiple suicide bomb attacks involving two suicide bombers at Dalori quarters near Dalori IDP camp”.

Many suspected terrorists killed, sophisticated arms destroyed in Sambisa forest

in AFRICA/POLITICS by

Troops of the Nigerian Army has neutralised seven remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists in the Sambisa forest and Northern Borno on Friday in an operation supported by the Air Force. According to a statement by Sani Usman, the Director of Army Public Relations, troops also destroyed 11 gun trucks and 12 Hilux vehicles during the operation.

Families launch appeal fund defend detained boko haram suspects

in AFRICA/PRESS RELEASE/REGIONS by

Ess than 24 hours to the commencement of trial of 1600 Boko Haram suspects, about 1200 family members of some of the suspects on Sunday launched a fund raising exercise to back their campaign for justice for the suspects. The Nigerian government through the Federal Ministry of Justice said last week that the trial of the suspects being held in various detention facilities across Nigeria would begin on October 9 in Kainji, Niger State and Maiduguri, Borno State. But the family members, who are mostly women, insist that some of the suspects who are being detained by the Nigerian military are innocent. The family members have formed a movement called KNIFAR to coordinate their quest to secure justice for them. They lamented that they could not appear before the presidential panel set up to review alleged rights abuses by soldiers. The group, which comprised indigent women mostly living in IDP camps, said they had no resources to travel to Abuja and had thus decided to launch an appeal for fund from well-meaning Nigerians to help them get justice for their relatives.

 

Buhari arrives Borno, celebrates indipendence nigerian troops fighting Boko Haram

in AFRICA/PRESS RELEASE/REGIONS by

President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday travelled to Borno to celebrate the Independence Anniversary with soldiers fighting Boko Haram. The president was received at an Air Force base by service chiefs and the Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima. While addressing the frontline personnel, the president expressed the nation’s gratitude for the sacrifices being made by members of the Armed Forces. He added that without their efforts, the relative peace being enjoyed by Nigerians would not have been possible. The trip is believed to have been made after the televised Independence Day broadcast by the president wherein he highlighted the achievements of his administration and the challenges being faced. He asked members of the three arms of the military to return the gesture by being steadfast and loyal.

Wanted Boko Haram commander arrested official

in AFRICA/PRESS RELEASE/REGIONS by

The military authorities announced that a high-value target in the Boko Haram war has been captured by the police in Ondo State. According to the Director of Army Public Relations, Sani Usman, Idris Ibrahim Babawo, a top Boko Haram commander, is identified as number 156 in the Boko Haram wanted list. Mr. Babawo, 42, who also goes by the name Idoko or Nagada, was captured while trying to evade arrest. He said that Mr. Babawo escaped from the North-east because of what he described as sustained military onslaught on the insurgents. Boko Haram staged a bloody insurgency in northern Nigeria in 2009 in a bid to establish an Islamic Caliphate. But the military has decimated the group, forcing the insurgents to resort to attacking mainly soft targets in parts of northern Nigeria. At least 2.7 million people have been displaced by the insurgency, especially in Borno and Adamawa States, the epicentre of the bloody campaign.

Alleged Boko Haram member remanded in prison

in AFRICA/PRESS RELEASE/REGIONS by

A Lokoja Chief Magistrate Court has ordered that a suspected Boko Haram member, Mustapha Adinoyi, be remanded in prison. Mr. Adinoyi was arraigned before the court for alleged involvement in terrorist activities and illegal possession of firearms. The Chief Magistrate, Levi Animoku, described the alleged offence as “a fearful one” and declined to consider bail for the accused. He said Boko Haram activities had claimed lives of many Nigerians and that bail is not granted as a matter of course. Earlier, the prosecution led by Mohammed Abaji of the state Ministry of Justice told the court that Mr. Adinoyi was arrested following intelligence reports by a joint team of the Nigerian Army and the State security Service. Mr. Abaji said analysis of the handset and SIM card of the accused further revealed that he had several meetings with one Dauda Momoh, also known as “General”, a Boko Haram commander on the wanted list of the SSS.

Court grants DSS permission to detain suspect for 45 days

in AFRICA/PRESS RELEASE/REGIONS by

The Federal High Court, Abuja, on Thursday granted permission to the Department of State Service (DSS) to detain one Adamu Mohammed for 45 days pending conclusion of investigation. Mohammed is being investigated for carrying out acts of terrorism by divulging sensitive information to members of Boko Haram. Justice B.O. Quadri reduced the 90 days to 45 days pending conclusion of investigation. The applicant shall provide the court with an update of the investigastion before the expiration of the 45 days; upon the update, the court may review and extend the remand order if it is necessary. Mr O.J. Odu, counsel to the DSS who moved the application told the court that it was pursuant to Section 27 (1) of the Terrorism Prevention Act.

pressrelease
× How can I help you?
Go to Top