Three Islamic State members were killed in confrontations with security troops, southwest of Kirkuk, a security source from the province said on Thursday. Speaking to AlSumaria News, the source said, “armed confrontations occurred between the Federal Police and al-Hashd al-Shaabi (Popular Mobilization Forces) against Islamic State members in al-Khadra village in al-Zab town, southwest of Kirkuk.” The clashes, according to the source, who preferred anonymity, added that “three militants have been killed so far as the confrontations are still ongoing.” Security troops carry out operations, every now and then, in search for the dormant cells of IS.
Iraqi Prime Minister, Haidar al-Abadi announced on Tuesday a military operation to hunt for dormant Islamic State militants in Jazira area northeast of Baghdad and Euphrates heights. “We have started an operation in Jazira area and Euphrates heights to prevent the emergence of any terrorist group,” said Abadi at his weekly press conference in Baghdad. ISIS’ self-proclaimed “caliphate” effectively collapsed, when US-backed Iraqi forces completed the takeover of the militants’ capital in Mosul, after a nine-month campaign. Iraqi forces discovered a bomb-making factory in western Mosul, interior ministry said on Sunday. Iraqi Ministry of Interior said in a statement that a unit of Mosul directorate police found a factory where vehicle-borne improvised explosive devices (VBIED) and Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) were made by Islamic State in New Mosul neighborhood. The factory had 150 kilograms of ammonium nitrate used in the VBIEDs in Mosul, the ministry added.
The Iraqi government spokesperson, Saad Hadithi, said on Tuesday that Baghdad will not allow the country’s soil to be used for attacks on Syria. Hadithi said in a statement that the Syrian conflict allowed ISIS extremists to emerge and flourish into Iraq in 2014. Baghdad will not launch any attack on Syria and let any operation from Iraqi soil against its neighbor Syria, Hadithi added. Baghdad attempts to maintain unity and stability for Syria in an effort to completely defeat ISIS and create the circumstances that will prevent its return, he said
The presidents of Iran, Russia and Turkey reiterated their commitment to work toward achieving a sustainable cease-fire between warring sides in Syria and bringing peace and stability to the war-torn country. Iran’s Hassan Rouhani and his Russian and Turkish counterparts, Vladimir Putin and Recep Tayyip Erdogan, “reaffirmed their determination to continue their active cooperation on Syria for the achievement of lasting cease-fire between the conflicting parties and advancement of the political process envisaged by UN Security Council Resolution 2254,” said a joint statement issued at the end of the meeting of the three leaders in Ankara on Wednesday. In the statement, Rouhani, Putin and Erdogan also emphasized their “strong and continued commitment to the sovereignty, independence, unity, territorial integrity and non-sectarian character of Syria.”
They also stressed that there could be “no military solution” to the Syrian conflict and that the conflict could be settled only through a “negotiated political process.” The presidents of Iran, Russia and Turkey, whose countries act as guarantors of the Syria cease-fire, also reaffirmed their determination to continue their cooperation in order to ultimately eliminate Daesh, Nusra Front and all other individuals, groups, and entities associated with Al-Qaeda or Daesh as identified by the UN Security Council and underscored the success of their collective efforts in the fight against international terrorism. Addressing the summit, Rouhani said the Syrian region of Afrin, captured by Turkish forces, should be handed over to Syria’s Army. “The developments in Afrin can only be useful if they do not violate Syria’s territorial integrity, and control of these areas should be handed over to the Syrian Army,” Rouhani said.
The National Security Council, chaired by President Duško Marković, welcomed the prompt and effective detection and arrest of perpetrators of serious crimes committed this past week. Marković reiterated the commitment of the institutions to continue their efforts to fight organized criminal groups, and especially their content providers. Indeed, the newly-formed specialized teams made up of representatives of the Prosecutor’s Office, the Police Directorate and other bodies have a clear task, namely to be a step ahead of any criminal intent. Prime Minister Duško Marković affirmed that the current period to be overcome does not require just the work of institutions in accordance with their regular legal obligations. Indeed, he claimed also that, at the moment of state budgeting, everyone must give additional and stronger contribution in order to protect every citizen and family in Montenegro.
LAGOS – Experts have called for a review of the nation’s security architecture to address the killings and other criminal activities in the land.
During the inauguration of council members and induction of new members of the Institute of Criminal Justice and Criminology Administration (ICJCA) in Lagos, the chief executive/registrar, Dr. Primus Emenuga, said the appeal has become necessary following the series of negative reports which were capable of undermining national security. He said: “As at this moment, our security architecture is nothing to write home about. If you look at our core competencies, like the justice system, law enforcement and prison, they are not performing optimally […] We are asking the government to look at the security issues from the top to the bottom, especially at the correction level to change the narrative.”
To the president and chairman of council, Oba Gbadebo Bajowa, there was need to improve the nation’s justice system by developing and providing good but strategic security administrators and defence initiatives in both government and private organisations. The emphasis, he said, should be on the provision of a broad programme that equips members of the criminal justice system with necessary knowledge, skills, attitude and aptitude in criminal justice administration and criminology in tandem with current realities.
The Presidency of BiH adopted the Strategy of the Foreign Policy of BiH for the period 2018-2023. This strategy provides guidelines for foreign policy on the basis of changes on a global, regional and local level. The strategy should determine a broad framework and guidelines for the work of relevant institutions of BiH in the domain of foreign policy. The pillars of the foreign policy of BiH are security and stability, economic prosperity, the protection of interests of citizens of BiH abroad and international legal cooperation and promotion of BiH in the world. These are based on the global, regional and local changes, the analysis of the current position of BiH in Europe and the world, as well as on political consensus on the future of BiH in international relations. Full membership in the European Union is one of the main strategic goals of the country. BiH, as a signatory of the Stabilization and Association Agreement (SAA) with the European Union and as a country that submitted a request for membership in the EU and responded to the European Commission’s Questionnaire, is striving to obtain candidate status as soon as possible. The continuation of activities in relation to NATO still represents the priority of BH institutions. Priority activities will be directed towards the activation and implementation of the MAP that will enable all subjects of defense in BiH to continue with activities in relation to NATO.
Boko Haram killed at least 18 people and wounded scores in coordinated attacks overnight on a military camp and villages around the flashpoint Nigerian city of Maiduguri, which they also tried to infiltrate across a defensive trench, officials said Monday. Boko Haram fighters attacked a military base in the Cashew Plantation area at the entrance to the city with suicide bombers, mortars and guns, leading to a prolonged battle, a senior military officer in Maiduguri said. “Eighteen Boko Haram terrorists on foot attacked the military base while seven suicide bombers targeted residents of nearby Bale Shuwar and Alikaranti villages at 8:50 pm (1950 GMT),”
On Friday, four girl suicide bombers aged between 13 and 18 killed two people in multiple attacks in Zawuya settlement on the outskirts of Maiduguri in the first assault since the government announced it was in ceasefire talks with Boko Haram. Level since at least June 2014, the latest sign that China has kept up pressure on its isolated neighbor in line with United Nations trade sanctions.
Condemning the killing of 13 terrorists by security forces in Kashmir, Pakistan Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi on Monday accused India of launching a “brutal crackdown” in Kashmir. “The brutal crackdown, including the despicable use of pellet guns on civilians who were protesting against the killing is deplorable,” Abbasi said. Security forces on Sunday gunned down 13 terrorists, including those responsible for the brutal killing of Lieutenant Umar Fayaz, in three counter-insurgency operations that also claimed the lives of three Army jawans and four civilians in Anantnag and Shopian districts.
The operations, which dealt a severe blow to terror groups in Kashmir Valley, were launched in the two districts Saturday night and continued till late Sunday. Reacting to the counter-insurgency operations by Indian forces, Pakistan’s Army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa in a brief statement said that Indian security forces cannot suppress the “indigenous” struggle of Kashmiris for self-determination. The operations by the Indian security forces have rendered a severe blow to terror groups such as the Hizbul Mujahideen and the Lashker-e-Taiba.
The rebels of the Lord Resistance Army (LRA) of Joseph Kony have seized, on 1st of April, about twenty people in the village of Koubou, 17 km from the city of Obo, in Haut-Mbomou. Known of the seize, government and Minusca have immediately started the search. The group LRA was caught by a joint force of FACA and Minusca in the forest; after a firefight, they were able to recover 15 hostages “, has said Angel Maxime Kazagui, minister of the Communication and spokesman of the government, during a press conference on Monday 2 of April.
The village was raided between the 5 and the 7 of the morning. Besides the hostages, the rebels have also emptied the barns of the village and taken away some non alimentary objects. The national and international security forces, with headquarters in Obo, have gone on the place to reassure the population. For fear of a new attack, many residents are heading for the city of Obo. LRA resurfaced in the last 3 months in south-oriental CAR.