Geopolitical News from the modern world

Families launch appeal fund defend detained boko haram suspects

in AFRICA/PRESS RELEASE/REGIONS by

Ess than 24 hours to the commencement of trial of 1600 Boko Haram suspects, about 1200 family members of some of the suspects on Sunday launched a fund raising exercise to back their campaign for justice for the suspects. The Nigerian government through the Federal Ministry of Justice said last week that the trial of the suspects being held in various detention facilities across Nigeria would begin on October 9 in Kainji, Niger State and Maiduguri, Borno State. But the family members, who are mostly women, insist that some of the suspects who are being detained by the Nigerian military are innocent. The family members have formed a movement called KNIFAR to coordinate their quest to secure justice for them. They lamented that they could not appear before the presidential panel set up to review alleged rights abuses by soldiers. The group, which comprised indigent women mostly living in IDP camps, said they had no resources to travel to Abuja and had thus decided to launch an appeal for fund from well-meaning Nigerians to help them get justice for their relatives.

 

Lascia un commento

Your email address will not be published.

*

Latest from AFRICA

Go to Top
WhatsApp chat