Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Thursday recommended his US counterpart Rex Tillerson to learn form the country’s past statesmen’s failures in pushing forward antagonistic policies against Iran and said that the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is result of his predecessors’ revision of US totally wrong policies against Iran and region. ‘US statesmen should know that they have not and will not achieve result by speaking in the language of sanctions and threat and using hostile rhetoric against Iran and Iranians,’ he said, recalling that US predecessors were not successful in implementing their unrealistic and wrong policies with regard to Iran. US foreign minister one day writes to Congress that Iran has complied with it commitments under JCPOA while the other day in contradictory statements accuses Iran of nuclear ambitions and described the deal as the one to bribe Iran. As to the repetition of empty and untrue claims of Tillerson and other US officials on Terrorism and Iran’s missile tests, he said, ‘We believe that Iran and other regional and global countries’ interests are contingent upon curbing unraveling terrorism which has unfortunately gone out of control due to US’ miscalculations and Imprudence as well as its regional allies’ instigations. No doubt that Iran as an advanced country in the fight against the evil phenomenon of terrorism is in the frontline of struggling for establishing peace and security in the region and world, in defiance of the US unwise policies, Zarif said. Reiterating the peaceful nature of Iran’s missile defense program, he described it as Iran’s legitimate and natural right which is not in contravention with any international regulations. Recalling the fact that how a dictator imposed a destructive war on Iran for eight years (former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein), Zarif said that Iranians will never allow the bitter experience be repeated again and the country’s missile program does not pose any threat to any country and is a totally rational policy.
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s visit to Moscow this week will be an early test of whether the Trump administration can use any momentum generated by a missile attack on a Syrian air base to craft and execute a strategy to end the Syrian war. Even before Trump ordered last week’s strike in retaliation for a nerve gas attack, Tillerson’s visit was certain to be dominated by thorny issues, including Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election, an apparent violation of an important arms control treaty, and seeing what cooperation, if any, is possible in the fight against Islamic State. Now, Tillerson, a former oil executive with no diplomatic experience, is charged with avoiding a major U.S. confrontation with Russia while exacting some concessions from Moscow. Those include getting rid of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s remaining chemical weapons and pressing Assad to negotiate Syria’s future.
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson tried to open the door to improved ties between Japan and South Korea during his visit here, but Seoul lobbed the ball back in Japan’s court calling for a “more flexible approach”, sources said. Tillerson met with South Korea’s acting president, Hwang Kyo-ahn, on March 17 and conveyed his hopes for an early improvement in relations between the Asian powers, the sources said. He was particularly concerned about the estrangement in light of recent provocations by North Korea. Tillerson’s remarks appeared intended to encourage South Korea to find some accommodation with Japan over a statue of a girl symbolizing Korean “comfort women” that was set up in front of the Japanese consulate-general in the southern port city of Busan.
U.S.-led Coalition members will hold a two-day meeting in Washington to discuss the fight against Islamic State (ISIS) in Iraq and Syria.The meeting of foreign ministers and senior leaders of the Global Coalition, hosted by U.S. State Secretary Rex Tillerson, starts on Wednesday with participation of all members of the Coalition forces, a total numbering 68, the U.S. State Department said. An Iraqi delegation headed by Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, will be attending the meeting in Washington. “The ministerial will include a detailed discussion of priorities for the Coalition’s multiple lines of effort, including military, foreign terrorist fighters, counterterrorist financing, counter-messaging, and stabilization of liberated areas, to increase the momentum of the campaign”, the State Department statement added.The ministers will also discuss the humanitarian crises in Iraq and Syria during the meeting, it added.
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson plans to skip a meeting with NATO foreign ministers next month in order to stay home for a visit by China’s president and will go to Russia later in April, U.S. officials said on Monday, disclosing an itinerary that allies may see as giving Moscow priority over them. Tillerson intends to miss what would have been his first meeting of the 28 NATO allies on April 5-6 in Brussels so that he can attend President Donald Trump’s expected April 6-7 talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida. Skipping the NATO meeting and visiting Moscow could risk feeding a perception that Trump may be putting U.S. dealings with big powers first, while leaving waiting those smaller nations that depend on Washington for security, two former U.S. officials said.
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson declared an end to the Barack Obama administration’s policy of strategic patience in dealing with North Korea, Friday, vowing to explore all options including harsher sanctions and military action. The U.S. top diplomat also stressed the importance of China’s role in forcing Pyongyang to abandon its nuclear and ballistic missile programs, urging Beijing to stop taking retaliatory actions against South Korea over the deployment of a Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) battery here.
U.S. President Donald Trump signed a revised executive order for a U.S. travel ban on Monday leaving Iraq off the list of targeted countries, the order would take effect on March 16.U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions and U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly unveiled details of the revised executive order at a media briefing:”As threats to our security continue to evolve and change, common sense dictates that we continually re-evaluate and reassess the systems we rely upon to protect our country”, Tillerson said. Refugees who are “in transit” and already have been approved would be able to travel to the United States: “We are going to work closely to implement it and enforce it humanely, respectfully and with professionalism, but we will enforce the law”, Kelly said.