U.S. combat troops will not stay on in Iraq after the fight against the Islamic State group is over, Iraq’s Prime Minister said Friday — a statement that followed an Associated Press report on talks between Iraq and the United States on maintaining American forces in the country. In his statement, Haider al-Abadi emphasized that there are no foreign combat troops on Iraqi soil and that any American troops who stay on once IS militants are defeated will be advisers working to train Iraq’s security forces to maintain “full readiness” for any “future security challenges”. While some U.S. forces are carrying out combat operations with Iraqi forces on and beyond front lines in the fight against IS, al-Abadi has maintained that the forces are acting only as advisers, apparently to get around a required parliamentary approval for their presence. Any forces who remained would continue to be designated as advisers for the same reason, the Iraqi government official had told the AP. Regardless of how the troops are designated, talks about maintaining American forces in Iraq point to a consensus by both governments that a longer-term U.S. presence in Iraq is needed to ensure that an insurgency does not bubble up again once IS militants are driven out — a contrast to the full U.S. withdrawal in 2011. Currently, the Pentagon has close to 7,000 U.S. troops in Iraq, many not publicly acknowledged because they are on temporary duty or under specific personnel rules. At the height of the surge of U.S. forces in 2007, there were about 170,000 American troops in the country. The numbers were wound down eventually to 40,000, before the complete withdrawal in 2011.
Official visit of Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi started on Monday, continue to produce results. Indeed el-Sisi held talks with Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis at the Pentagon on Wednesday where they expressed hopes to collaborate on counterterror measures, the Defense Department said in a press release. They announce that defence cooperation between both countries is the “backbone” of their relationship. A future visit of Jim Mattis had been previous soon in Cairo. This strengthening of Defence cooperation is added to the enforcement of economical relation on Monday, during el-Sisi-Trump meeting.
Abu Nabil al Anbari, leader of Isis in Libya, considered organizer of Bardo Museum attack in Tunis, was shot, in the night between November 13 and 14 by two Us American F-15 aircraft. Pentagon, believe to kill him. The US action, which happened simultaneously with attacks in Paris, following Jihadi John killing in Syria on November 12.
Daesh in Libya Chief, Wisam to Zubaidi (the real name of al Anbari) was Islamic State commander in Iraq in 2014. In the same year, leader Abu Bakr al Baghdadi, his prison mate in Iraq in 2003, send him in the North African country to affiliate Libyan jihadist group to Caliphate.