All the trapped miners are thought to be dead after a huge explosion in Zemestanyurt coal mine in northern Iran on Wednesday. The blast happened at 12:45pm, at a time when workers were changing shifts. Some 50 injured miners have been so far taken out of the mine. Several officials blamed the explosion on accumulated gas and said it was affecting rescue efforts. Hamidreza Montazeri, deputy head of Golestan province’s emergency services, said that 25 people, who had entered the mine to help the trapped miners, had been taken to hospital due to gas inhalation.
The Chief of Army Staff Tukur Buratai, has called United Nations assistance to remove mines from Sambisa forrest, an effort which will require much resources that the country alone may not be able to finance. The Army is doing a demining in the forest so that the troops can move around for operations, but it will require much more resources and efforts, and even civilian may be requested to demining support. The three affested states in the Nort East part (Yobe and Adamawa) are now almost 100 per cent free of insurgent, except Borno, but some terrorists are still belived to be hiding in remotes areas. Mr. Buratai said what was needed now was massive deployment of police and civil defence personnel in major towns and communities where people had returned to.