Three illegal migration attempts from the island of Djerba were foiled by Coastguard last week. The latest took place on the night of Sunday, November 6, 2016. The organiser and his provider were arrested along with 11 young people who were about to sail off from Sidi Jmour (Delegation of Houmt Souk) to Italy, a security source told TAP. The alleged organiser was arrested during a search of a point of sale and repair of boat engines where two engines, compasses and GPS equipment were found. Nine other people were intercepted in two illegal migration attempts, one from Boughrara and the other from Sidi Jmour, besides the seizure of boats used for this purpose.
The migrant rescue from Sea-Watch has warned the EU to “reflect” on its planned training of Libyan coastguards following what it insists was a coastguard attack last week on one of its operations. This led to the drowning of up to 20 migrants from around 160 on an inflatable raft. Navy spokesman Colonel Ayyub Gassem has denied that any coastguard vessel was involved. Pictures published by Sea-Watch show the intruding vessel sporting a decal on the rear superstructure . It does not appear to be the normal design for the Libyan navy seal. Sea-Watch asserts that the attack was a blatant violation of international law, created danger and mass panic, and that the coastguard failed to carry out its search and rescue duty. “In light of this incident,” says Sea-Watch, “we demand the EU to reflect upon the planned training of the Libyan Coastguard, when this includes self-styled authorities operating in a manner that represents a blatant violation of international maritime and human rights law”.